Built: 1946 – 1953
Built for: LMS / BR
Designed by: Henry G. Ivatt
Duties: mixed traffic
• Fully detailed and decorated cab interior
• Popular locomotive which found use across the London Midland, Western, Eastern and North Eastern Regions
• Removable coal load with empty coal space modelled below
128 Ivatt 2MT Class 2-6-0 locomotives were built between December 1946 and September 1952. Entering service with the London, Midland & Scottish Railway, construction continued under British Railways after Nationalization in 1948. Light axle loadings allowed them to be used on branch line passenger and freight duties and their almost enclosed cabs made them ideal for working tender first when no turning facilities existed. The class could be found at work on all but the Southern Region of British Railways.
The introduction of diesel multiple units and branch line closures resulted in the class being withdrawn between 1961 and 1967, a year before the end of steam on British Railways. Seven locomotives have survived to work on heritage railways.